For young puppies, biting is quiet normal. But it's uncomfortable for humans. There are a number of things we can do to teach our pups to choose an alternate behavior. But first, we need to choose some management
- Wear thick clothing for safety
- Keep safe chew toys in your pocket or nearby. When pup comes toward you, hand him a toy (to replace your skin)
- Keep puppy's mouth busy with kongs and other toys
What NOT to do
- Never punish a pup for nipping.
- Don't squeeze lips to hit the chin or yell or spritz
- Don't use hot sauce or bitter apple on your hands ( or any taste deterrent)
More on biting coming up.
Look for future posts here